Monday, April 4, 2011

Race Recap: Vanderbilt 3k

199502_213831685299769_100000188180191_983775_1944515_n

My first outdoor 3k ever. Results = awful.

I am new to this whole track thing and wasn’t aware of the different ways to start. We had two lines of girls, like so.

vanderbiltstart
I know you like my photoshop skills

I am in lane 8ish. This is hypothetically. I’m not sure how we were really lined up lane wise, but just pay attention to the lines. See the other line of girls up front?

When the guy had the gun in the air and said on your mark, I was still standing on the line like above. I was unaware it actually was supposed to look more like this:

vanderbiltstart1

So as the gun is in the air the official is using his other hand to motion “scoot up” to me. Then as I was, he shot the gun. I freaked out thinking I was going to be in the back (which I probably should’ve been anyway) and started out wayyyyyy too fast!

Splits went like this:

  • 84
  • 94
  • 93
  • 98
  • 99
  • 100
  • 97
  • 45

To put in perspective a 84 is 5:38 pace and a 100 is a 6:42 which both are not good for me. Too fast and too slow for a 3k.

I ran an 11:50 when I was supposed to run an 11:36.

It was a sad day, but I learned from it.

Q: Do you ever start off too fast when you race?

In high school I used to automatically start in the back and work my way up. This race was completely opposite. I died hardcore.

Q: Are you racing anytime soon?

I just ran my first 5k on a track (you’ll get that update in a few days, or tomorrow hah) and I might possibly run a 3k this weekend if my foot is good and coach lets me go.

sig

0 footprints:

Post a Comment