Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Guest Post: Dan McKenna

Below is a guest post by Dan McKenna who is doing something I dream to do once out of college. Using your passion of running and helping others in the process. Please help support Dan in his journey.

 

Hellllooooo Feet in Motion readers!!!!

First off - as a fellow KU supporter, I have to say I am VERY pumped to have the opportunity to guest blog on Feet in Motion. I just opened up Feb 8th's blog post to see none other than the Rock Chalk JayHawk chant in true KU fashion. I’m a New Yorker at heart, but I fell for a Kansas girl soooo I’ve definitely adopted the KU culture over the past few years.

Anyway - before I dive into the running talk I wanted to quickly introduce myself.

My name is Dan McKenna, I’m a 23-year-old banking operations analyst at Morgan Stanley in NYC. I attended Villanova University on a D1 soccer scholarship and discovered my passion for running in knee rehab, after blowing out my knee three years ago.

Now healthy and an active runner, I have been pushing myself harder than ever!

A few months ago, I committed to compete in a race known as The Atacama Crossing. In less than 30 days I will be heading to Chile in an effort to run 150 miles across the Atacama Desert. The race will be held one mile above sea level and cover the distance required to make a horizontal crossing of the country of Chile. Seven days long, six stages and self-supported, the race ranks #2 on TIME Magazine's list of Top 10 Endurance Competitions in the world.

I’m running the race on behalf of the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, a volunteer-driven charity committed to funding the most promising research to find cures for childhood cancers and give survivors long and healthy lives. (To find out more about the foundation and support the cause - check out my race event page here)

The past few months of training have been challenging to say the least. Ten to 12 hour days in the office followed by three to four hour workouts almost every night have not been easy. Going into the home stretch, I feel strong and VERY fit. On top of all the running, boxing sessions and weight training have helped me maintain a well-rounded build, both mentally and physically. I’m definitely not a traditional runner. I guess you can say I’m addicted to that feeling you get when your body has pushed itself to the limit.

I'm running each of the first five stages for a child with cancer and the last stage in honor of one of my best friend's mothers (who's been fighting cancer for the past two years). These people and their families inspire me every day and I hope all of you readers will take the time to hear more about St. Baldrick’s mission to Conquer Kids’ Cancer.

Thanks again everyone for the chance to Blog! If you want to learn more about what I’m doing follow me on Facebook here.

Thanks Dan!! Good luck on your journey and thank goodness your Kansas gal converted you! Smile

If you want to guest post on My Feet In Motion, just send me an email. I love reading stories like this and would proudly help advertise!

sig

0 footprints:

Post a Comment